Invision Community
FORUMS BLOG/NEWS USER BLOGS USER MEDIA ADVERTS   ADD  MANAGE CHAT CLUBS & USER PERSONAL FORUMS LINK EXCHANGE
CHRISTIAN RESOURCES Christian Hosting Christian Domain Christian Website Builder Christian Free Antivirus Christian Security System Christian Travel Insurance Christian Voip Phone Christian Car Rental Christian Credit Card
Sign in to follow this  
frankzappa

5 Things To Do When You’re Struggling with Faith Doubts 2

3. Evaluate your unmet expectations.

Radio host and author Dennis Prager once pointed out that unmet expectations are the source of all unhappiness. This powerful insight has stuck with me ever since. Our expectations can be a serious problem when it comes to faith. Ask yourself these questions:

What unmet expectations do I have about Christianity? For example, do you expect that if you’re a good person, bad things won’t happen to you? Do you expect that you’ll see answered prayers more often? Do you expect Christians around you to be better people?

What does the Bible say about that expectation? Don’t rely on what you think you know the Bible says about it – it’s possible you have a misunderstanding that is the source of the problem. Sit down and really study what the Bible says about it.

How does my expectation compare to what the Bible says I should expect? It’s this gap between your answers to questions 1 and 2 that can give you insight into your faith challenges. Often what we find is that we have expectations that don’t line up with the reality of what the Bible says. We may not like the way God does things, but that doesn’t make Christianity untrue.

4. Be honest with yourself about the nature of truth.

Truth doesn’t depend on what you like or on what makes most sense to you personally. Truth is something you have to commit to seeking outside of yourself. The wonderful thing about Christianity is that its truth hinges on a single event: Jesus’ resurrection. Any Christian who is struggling should read The Case for the Resurrection of Jesus and/or Cold Case Christianity to get grounded in the historical evidence for the truth of Christianity. For a broad overview of the evidence for the truth of Christianity and responses to challenges, see my first book Keeping Your Kids on God’s Side: 40 Conversations to Help Them Build a Lasting Faith. For a deeper look at the evidence for God’s existence and questions about science and God, see my second book, Talking with Your Kids about God.

5. Pray.

When you’re struggling to believe, prayer feels almost impossible – it’s the last thing you want to do because you’re doubting God is even there. But it’s more important than ever to ask God to illuminate His truth for you when you’re at that point – especially through reading the Bible. Push through the doubt and pray that He will guide you to the understanding you need.

christianmomthoughts.com

CHRISTIAN INSURANCE & ADVICE Christian Health Insurance Christian HealthCare Christian Car Insurance Christian Home Insurance Christian Life Insurance Christian Car Warranty Christian Travel Christian Hotel Christian Holiday