Invision Community
FORUMS BLOG/NEWS USER BLOGS USER MEDIA ADVERTS   ADD  MANAGE CHAT CLUBS & USER PERSONAL FORUMS LINK EXCHANGE
CHRISTIAN RESOURCES Christian Hosting Christian Domain Christian Website Builder Christian Free Antivirus Christian Security System Christian Travel Insurance Christian Voip Phone Christian Car Rental Christian Credit Card
Sign in to follow this  
frankzappa

Adversity is part of our mortal experience

2 Nephi 2:11: “For it must needs be, that there is an opposition in all things. If not so, … righteousness could not be brought to pass, neither wickedness, neither holiness nor misery, neither good nor bad.”

Doctrine and Covenants 136:31: “My people must be tried in all things, that they may be prepared to receive the glory that I have for them.”

Bishop Richard C. Edgley, who served in the Presiding Bishopric: “I believe we all understood that by coming to earth, we would be exposed to all of the experiences of earth life, including the not-so-pleasant trials of pain, suffering, hopelessness, sin, and death. There would be opposition and adversity” (“For Thy Good,” Ensign, May 2002, 65).

Elder Robert D. Hales (1932–2017) of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles: “Knowing that we are in mortality to learn and to develop our faith, we should understand that there must be opposition in all things. During a family council in my own home, my wife said, ‘When you may think that someone has a perfect family, you just do not know them well enough’” (“Strengthening Families: Our Sacred Duty,” Ensign, May 1999, 34).

Elder Neal A. Maxwell (1926–2004) of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles: “Mortality presents us with numerous opportunities to become more Christlike: first, by coping successfully with those of life’s challenges which are ‘common to man[kind]’ (1 Cor. 10:13). In addition, there are also our customized trials such as experiencing illness, aloneness, persecution, betrayal, irony, poverty, false witness, unreciprocated love, et cetera” (“Apply the Atoning Blood of Christ,” Ensign, Nov. 1997, 22).

Elder M. Russell Ballard of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles: “Much adversity is man-made. Men’s hearts turn cold, and the spirit of Satan controls their actions. In foreseeing the day of suffering in our time, the Savior said, ‘The love of men shall wax cold, and iniquity shall abound’ (D&C 45:27). Violence, immorality, and other evils run rampant on the earth. Much adversity has its origin in the principle of agency” (“Answers to Life’s Questions,” Ensign, May 1995, 23).

Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin (1917–2008) of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles: “The Lord is well aware of our mortality. He knows our weaknesses. He understands the challenges of our everyday lives. He has great empathy for the temptations of earthly appetites and passions. The Apostle Paul wrote in his epistle to the Hebrews that the Savior is ‘touched with the feeling of our infirmities’ because he ‘was in all points tempted like as we are’ [Hebrews 4:15–16]” (“Faith of Our Fathers,” Ensign, May 1996, 34).

churchofjesuschrist.org

CHRISTIAN INSURANCE & ADVICE Christian Health Insurance Christian HealthCare Christian Car Insurance Christian Home Insurance Christian Life Insurance Christian Car Warranty Christian Travel Christian Hotel Christian Holiday