Original Posting At http://www.umglobal.org/2019/09/plan-now-global-climate-strike-on-sept.html
Environmental activist and United Methodist Sunday School teacher Bill McKibben of 350.org is among those calling for a “global climate strike” next week on Friday, Sept. 20th. McKibben explains his reasoning in an article for YES Magazine. The strike is intended to draw attention to the pressing nature of the problems associated with climate change.
For why care for creation is a religious, theological and missiological issues, see this pastoral letter from UMC bishops, these previous posts from UM & Global, this UMW webpage highlighting their work in the area, and this Church & Society webpage highlighting their work in the area.
If you participate in the climate strike, here are some things you can do that day:
- Plan a worship service using these liturgical elements associated with the bishops’ letter.
- Get a group together to run through UMW’s Climate Justice Simulation Experience.
- Read some of these environmental justice articles from UMW.
- Hold a viewing party for the UM Creation Care Summit vidoes.
- Contact your government leaders about this issue.